The 5th Annual Wearable Art Gala in Los Angeles on Saturday drew pop culture’s fiercest, including Lupita Nyong’o and Beyoncé, together for a night reminiscent of the Harlem Renaissance, and celebrities were dapperly clad in their prohibition best– highlighting trends that would surely entice today’s fashionista.
The gala’s theme paid tribute to the New Negro Movement, a period of electrifying disruption in culture fronted by Harlem’s thriving 1920’s nightclub scene. Nestled between 142nd St and Lenox Ave., frequented by music legends Count Basie, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, and Nat King Cole, the Cotton Club was the home and the heart for Black talent, artistic expression, and style that would go on to define the celebratory era. A quick Google search will lead you down an endless path to pearls, cropped haircuts, ornate beaded gowns, and hefty jeweled headwear. Those salacious nights of swing are gone, but the celebration of Black culture and excellency live on through its fashion.
This year’s Wearable Art Gala hosted many interpretations of Harlem Nights’ rich historical costume garb, and the star-studded event, which is a benefit creative-directed by Tina Knowles Lawson and Richard Lawson to support WACO’s artistic and youth mentorship programs, brought such drama.
While onlookers were split between who nailed the look and who didn’t, there’s an undeniable wave of trends from the 20s era that’s flooding today’s sales-floors. Here’s how you can make the trends work for your fall wardrobe.
1. The masses flocked to feathered frocks; pluck these pieces for everyday wear.
1. Nasty Gal Feather Trim Cropped Blazer $67.20 & Mini Pelmet Skirt $31.20 | 2. Nasty Gal Belted Blazer With Feather Cuffs $94.40 & Flared Pants With Feather Trims $74 | 3. Nasty Gal Feather Trim Knee Boots $145 | 4. Nasty Gal Feather Trim Marble Sequin Blazer $80.80 & Marble Print Tailored Pants With Feather Trims $67.20 | 5. Boo Hoo Feather Trim High Waisted Jeans $24 | 6. Sam Edelman Anthony Mule Pump $150 | 7. ASOS Balloon Sleeve Shirt Dress $84
2. Don’t let velvet intimidate you because texture is what gives fall fashion its oomph. These jewel-toned statement pieces are great for bringing the sass without compromising on comfort.
1.Sergio Rossi Over-The-Knee Boot $190 | 2. ASOS Velvet & Lace Corset $29.90 | 3. ASOS Oversized Shirt & Super Wide Leg Pants $124 | 4. Anthropologie Velvet Blazer $349 | 5. Kurt Geiger Mini Kensington Eye Handbag $195 | 6. ASOS Fitted Velvet Jumpsuit $70
3. Add frills with fringe dresses and jackets. Layering is key for casual, yet clean fringe looks, and a classic white buttoned-down collared shirt with balloon sleeves is your saving grace for chillier evenings. It’s a perfect pairing that will help you transition through every occasion and season.
1. ASOS Fringe Midi Dress $100 | 2. ASOS Drape Fringe Maxi Dress $157 | 3. Cult Gaia Quella Gold Fringe Halter Top $598 | 4. Nasty Gal Tiered Tinsel Multi Party Crasher Jacket $148.80 | 5. Showpo Fringe Two-Piece Skirt Set $89.95
4. We’re seeing a lot of glove love. Long gloves are proving to be an accouterment for the ages as designers refresh the accessory with cool attachments and cutouts.
1. ASOS Fluffy Sweater With Glove Sleeves $17.50 | 2. Cult Mia Cupid Dress With Gloves $584 | 3. Wolf & Badger Mini Dress & Gloves $157 |4. PLT Glove Detail Body Suit $21 | 5. PLT Faux Leather Shirt $29 |6. ASOS Velvet Bandeau Mini Dress With Gloves $63
5. Unleashing fabulous furs for fall isn’t groundbreaking, but it can be with the right prints and colors.
1. Akira Feel the Flame Faux Fur Jacket $90 | 2. ASOS Animal Longline Faux Fur Coat $111 | 3. Jakke Floral Lines Faux Fur Coat $331| 4. Free People Rhapsody Coat $489 | 5. Jakke Katrine Multi Stripe Coat $469 | 6. Jakke Rita Green Stripe Coat $379 | 7. ASOS Wave Longline Coat $224