As summer winds down, we’re taking inventory of some of the best fragrances for spring and summer. With at least 30 more days of warm weather to go, the hottest month of the year still gives you plenty of time to spritz around with our favorite florals, citruses, orientals, chypres.
FLORAL: These are mostly feminine and primarily built with florals, including white flowers like lily of the valley, peonies and sweet peas. Roses, lilac, hyacinth, jasmine and tuberose are also popular
- Balenciaga Rosabotanica, $100 | department stores
- Daisy Marc Jacobs Delight edition, $75 | department stores
- Rose de Chloe, $95 | department stores
- Dolce and Gabbana Dolce, $70 | department stores
- APOM pour femme by Francis Kurkdjian, $85 | franciskurkdjian.com
CITRUS: More genderless but with a masculine touch, citruses are constructed with clean, sparkling notes like mandarin, grapefruit, orange, lemon, lime and yuzu.
- Bond No. 9 Hudson Yard, $285 | bondno9.com
- Au Pays de la Fleur d’Oranger Bergamonte Boisée, $125 | beautyhabit.com
- Aqua Vitae by Francis Kurkdjian, Starting at $185 | franciskurkdjian.com
ORIENTAL: Also known as ambers, orientals encompass more genderless raw materials or scents that are dark, balsamy, heavy and warm like benzoin, vanilla and tonka bean.
- Rouche Bunny Provencal Tales Ember, $147 | beautyhabit.com
- L’artisan Safrant Troublant eau de toilette and Dzing! eau de toilette $145 each | artisanperfumeur.com
- Cologne pour le Soir by Francis Kurkdjian, $185 | franciskurkdjian.com
- Aerin Amber Musk, $110 | aerin.com
WOODY AND CHYPRE: Woody fragrances are based on woods or wood-related materials like sandalwood, cedarwood, guaic wood, patchouli, vetiver or amyris (fire tree). A chypre is rhythm of the woody category, which requires woody notes in the composition.
- Nest Midnight Fleur, $115 | neimanmarcus.com
- Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black, $55 | sephora.com
- Hina Vetiver Attar, $64 | beautyhabit.com
- Terry de Gunzburg, Terryfic Oud, $195 | Barney’s
- Aerin Ikat Jasmine, $110 | aerin.com
- Pentaligon, Eau Sans Pareil, $150 | pentaligon.com
GOURMANDS: Perhaps less ideal for more sophisticated wearers of perfumes and colognes, Gourmand’s more edible notes like praline, vanilla, cinnamon and jam certainly make for some pretty delicious home fragrances.
- Jo Malone Vanilla and Anise Scented Candle, $65 | jomalone.com
- Agraria Lavender & Rosemary Woven Crystal Candle, $55 | agrariahome.com
- Archipelago Botanicals Tangerine Soy Candle, $30 | archipelago.com