- The short tribute to Whitney Houston at the beginning of the show. “Whitney, we will always love you,” L.L. said after delivering a heartfelt prayer. Also, Jennifer Hudson's restrained homage to Whitney.
- L.L. Cool J licking his lips no less than 20 times within the first two minutes he was on the stage.
- Adele returning to the stage after undergoing surgery to save her vocal chords, with a beautiful performance of “Rolling in the Deep” for which she received a long standing ovation.
- Bruno Mars, who conjured Andre 3000, Frankie Limon, and Morris Day for a glittery performance in which he demanded the crowd, “get their rich as**s” out of their seats and party.
- Chris Brown making his grand Grammy comeback by dancing on top of white Lego- blocks.
- A blonde-wigged Rihanna trashing up what had previously been a relatively clean and classy performance year with her unnecessary theatrics.
- Ledisi not winning R&B album of the year for Pieces of Me.
- Carrie Underwood’s gold-studded mermaid dress.
- Lady Gaga’s fishnet facemask. Actually, just Lady Gaga.
- Nicki Minaj’s spastic, borderline blasphemous performance of her new single, “ Roman Holiday.” Um, LSD anyone?