As a busy, single, professional, the “singles’ table” may come with all kinds of connotations. You’re no longer defined by your professional title, but your relationship status. With all of your accomplishments and talents, everyone is the same at the singles’ table.
This year, it may be time for something new. But, no need to run away to an exotic island vacation to escape. Maybe you just want to see how it is to spend Thanksgiving alone—something you have never done before.
If you decide to spend the day alone at home for other reasons, please do not stress. Do not feel the need to defend why you want to spend Thanksgiving alone. Pick at least one thing from the list below to make your Thanksgiving Day the way you want to make it, on your own terms, while remaining ever grateful and thankful for your blessings.
- Movies, movies, movies—something funny and lighthearted usually does the trick. Want to binge on something smart? Check out BE’s TechConnext On-Demand videos with leaders from Slack, Facebook, Ryan Leslie, and more.
- Indulge in one of your favorite high calorie treats—you have permission today.
- Start a project, list your goals in a journal, write that book, sort through mail. It will make you feel productive.
- Stay off of the Internet. Do not go online to Facebook or any other social networking site. Remember, this is about your solitude today, it’s not about making yourself feel bad.
- Get a pile of books together that you have been meaning to read or finish. This is supposed to be relaxing, so please, put away the GMAT books.
- If you have neighbors, offer to babysit their dogs or walk them on Thanksgiving. However, you must like dogs; you don’t want to get rid of one stress for another.
- Indulge yourself with your favorite drink or an afternoon nap.
- Do a “thankful” ritual for what makes you feel grateful. You may light a candle, burn incense, or whatever you like.
- Go to Boston Market or order from your favorite restaurant. If that’s too much trouble, buy a box of macaroni and cheese. A bowl of macaroni and cheese is the ultimate comfort food.
Spending Thanksgiving alone can hurt if it is out of your control, and you really want to be with someone. So, celebrate on your own terms. To give love to others during the holidays, you need to have some in your own life.
Originally appeared by BlackEnterprise.com.